400 g. Baked Ziti (penne, macaroni and other short pasta may be used)
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 pc. White Onion finely chopped
1 pc. Medium Sized carrot peeled and chopped
2 pcs. Celery Stalks finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic
1 tsp Fresh Chopped Basil
1 tsp Fresh Chopped Rosemary
1 tsp Fresh Chopped Thyme
4 cups Whote Ripe Tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or canned)
1/2 cup Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
4 cups Whole Milk
200 grams Mozarella Cheese
50 grams Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
2. Cook the pasta as directed in the package. Set aside.
White Sauce Preparation:
3. Heat Butter in a sauce pan until melted.
4. Add Flour stirring well.
5. Gradually pour milk while constantly stirring until the mixture thickens.
6. Set aside some of the Mozarella and Parmesan Cheese, add the rest of the cheeses into the sauce.
Red Sauce Preparation:
7. Heat olive oil in another pan, add onion and saute until transparent before adding the celery and carrots.
8. Add the tomatoes, then add the ham and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
9. Add the basil, thyme, and rosemary. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Take an oven proof dish and pour enough of the Tomato mixture to cover the bottom of the pan.
11. Add a layer of the milk - cheese sauce.
12. Add a layer of the cooked pasta.
13. Repeat the layering of the tomato mixture, cheese sauce and pasta. Make sure the last layer is the cheese sauce.
14. Sprinkle the reserved cheese.
15. Bake the dish in the pre-heated oven until the crust is slightly brown.
16. Let set for about 30 minutes before serving but serve hot.